“The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do.” — Michael E. Porter
Social media can easily overwhelm you. Between creating content and interacting, it may feel that you are spending more time on your phone than in your business. The good news is that there is an easier way.
If you are looking to save time, effort, and energy, you need a social media strategy. Customers purchase based on trust, credibility, and loyalty. A social media strategy can help you stay consistent, which promotes these three actions. But what exactly is a social media strategy…
It’s a plan.
That’s it. The highly sought-after social media strategy is a plan that you create, design, and implement before you ever post or interact on an app.
It’s a plan that allows you to spend less time on social media and more time doing the things you enjoy. Did you notice the photo associated with this blog? That’s my kiddo & he’s why I have a strategy that allows me more time to spend with him and less time online creating content.
So how do you get started?
Here are 5 quick steps to help you create a social media strategy for your business.
(And if you want to learn more, check out this 15-minute webinar.)
1. Know Your Lane
Before you start creating posts, sit down and have a real honest brainstorming session with yourself. What are your areas of expertise? Now, be specific! Pick 5 buckets where you feel knowledgeable and have your social media presence focus on those topics.
2. Know Your Fish
Before you can catch the fish you want, you need to know what fish you are trying to catch. Knowing what fish you are searching for will tell you where they live and what bait to use.
Not every social media platform is created equally – especially in demographics! Use the platforms (body of water) your target client demographic (fish) are using, even if it is not your personally preferred platform.
3. Know Your Apps
If you aren’t already using an app or software to create your content, what are you waiting for? Amazing programs like Trello, Canva, GoDaddy Studio, and PicPostPlay will make your life easier. Find templates you like and save them for repeatable use.
4. Know Your Brand
Before you use the plug & play templates on the above-mentioned apps, decide on branding basics like colors and fonts. Additionally, decide on your voice, style, and personality. Remember, consistency is key to developing trust between your target market and your business. Plus, knowing all of these characteristics now will save you time, effort and energy when you begin to batch create your new content.
Not sure what your brand should be? Join me on September 16th for my next “The Fitness of Your Business” webinar: 3 Business Mistakes to Avoid. This 15-minute “The Fitness of Your Business” webinar will teach you how to overcome three business mistakes you may be making. Make sure to register today for free to attend live and receive the recording.
5. Know Your Plan
Don’t try to create, craft, and post all in one swoop. Remember the 5 topics you chose in Step 1? Use those to decide what style and topic of content you are going to post each day; then plan out your content, captions, and hashtags before the day of posting. Be strategic so that each post speaks to your message & brand.
If you are searching for more content to help make your life easier as a fitness entrepreneur, check out these additional resources:
- WEBINAR: Social Media 101
- BLOG: 5 Lessons You Need to Learn For Business Growth
- INTERVIEW: In Bed with Nathalie Lacombe & the Fitness Industry
- COACHING PROGRAM: 7 Simple Steps to Attract More Clients
Not sure where to go from here? Let me help you!
- September 9th: BUILDING YOUR BRAND 101 at Fitnessfest Conference (Virtual Option): Join me for a 4-hour workshop & walk away with a personalized business strategy.
- September 9th: MARKETING YOUR BRAND 101 at Fitnessfest Conference (Virtual Option): In this 4-hour workshop, we will dive into the best techniques, tips and tricks to take your online brand awareness to the next level.
- September 17th: LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION at SCW Cert Smash (Virtual Option): Learn how to successfully run a virtual Group Ex class, Personal Training session and progressive program.
- September 19th: SCW SOCIAL MEDIA CERTIFICATION at SCW Cert Smash (Virtual Option): Explore simple, usable and effective social media tricks and marketing tips.